Terms of Service
We (the peeps at Automattic) run the writing improvement web service, After the Deadline, to help you write better and spend less time editing. After the Deadline is free for personal use. Please make sure you read through, understand and agree with these terms before you start to use this Website or download our plugin
(Note, this Terms of Service document is available under a Creative Commons Sharealike license, which means you're more than welcome to steal it and repurpose it for your own use, just make sure to replace references to us with ones to you, and if you want we'd appreciate a link to Akismet.com somewhere on your site. We spent too much money and time on the below, and other people shouldn't need to do the same. [Note: I can vouch that they're cool with this. -- Raphael])
Terms of Service:
- General. Automattic may in its sole discretion change, modify, suspend, make improvements to or discontinue any aspect of the Website and Service, temporarily or permanently, at any time and without notice to you. Under no circumstances will Automattic be liable for any such change, modification, suspension, improvement or discontinuance. If you do not agree with any of these changes, you may terminate your account as set forth in Section 11.
- Registration. By registering with Automattic, you represent and warrant that the information you provide to
Automattic in connection with any registration process is true and accurate, and that you will promptly notify Automattic if
any of that information changes. Automattic may use the information that you provide during the registration process, in
particular your email address:
(b) respond to your emails to us regarding our service;
Automattic reserves the right to terminate your access to and use of all of all Automattic websites if you provide
false or inaccurate information.
If you obtain or purchase an API Key, you are responsible for maintaining the security of your API Key, and you are fully responsible for all activities that occur under the account and any other actions taken in connection with your API Key. You must immediately notify Automattic of any unauthorized uses of your API Key, your account or any other breaches of security. Automattic will not be liable for any acts or omissions by you, including any damages of any kind incurred as a result of such acts or omissions.
- Content Posted on Other Websites. We have not reviewed, and cannot review, all of the material, including computer software, made available through the websites and webpages to which the Website links, and that link to the Website (for example software linked to from the Development section of the site). Automattic does not have any control over those non-After the Deadline websites and webpages, and is not responsible for their contents or their use. By linking to a non-After the Deadline website or webpage, Automattic does not represent or imply that it endorses such website or webpage. You are responsible for taking precautions as necessary to protect yourself and your computer systems from viruses, worms, Trojan horses and other harmful or destructive content. Automattic disclaims any responsibility for any harm resulting from your use of non-After the Deadline websites and webpages.
- Changes. The Website, Service, and these Terms and Conditions may be changed at the sole discretion of Automattic and without notice. You are bound by any such updates or changes, including but not limited to those affecting these Terms and Conditions, and so should periodically review these Terms and Conditions.
- Communications with Automattic. All notices and other communications to Automattic required under this Agreement should be directed to the contact page. Notice shall be deemed given twenty-four (24) hours after notice is sent.
- Limitation of warranties of Automattic, its suppliers and its licensors.Except as otherwise expressly stated, all content posted to or available from the Website and the Service are provided “as is”, and Automattic, its suppliers and its licensors make no representations or warranties, express or implied, including but not limited to warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title or non-infringement of proprietary rights. Automattic makes no representations and warranties regarding uptime for the Service and the accuracy of the Service in identifying spelling errors or writing mistakes. You understand and agree that you download from, or otherwise obtain content or services through, the Website at your own discretion and risk, and that Automattic, its suppliers and its licensors will have no liability or responsibility for any damage to your computer system or data that results from the download or use of such content or services. Some jurisdictions may not allow the exclusion of implied warranties, so some of the above may not apply to you.
- Limitation of liability of Automattic, its suppliers and its licensors. Except as otherwise expressly stated, in no event will Automattic, its suppliers or its licensors be liable to you or any other party for any direct, indirect, special, consequential or exemplary damages, regardless of the basis or nature of the claim, resulting from any use of the Website or Service, or the contents thereof or of any hyperlinked website including without limitation any lost profits, business interruption, loss of data or otherwise, even if Automattic, its suppliers or its licensors were expressly advised of the possibility of such damages. In no event will the aggregate liability for any and all of your claims against Automattic, its suppliers and its licensors arising out of or related to use of the Website and Service, or the contents thereof or of any hyperlinked website exceed the amounts actually paid by you to Automattic during the 12-month period prior to the date a claim is made. Some jurisdictions may not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for certain incidental or consequential damages, so some of the above limitations may not apply to you. You agree that this Section 8 represents a reasonable allocation of risk.
- Indemnification. You agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless Automattic, its contractors and its licensors, and their respective directors, officers, employees and agents from and against any and all claims and expenses, including attorneys' fees, arising out of your use of the Service, including but not limited to out of your violation of any representation or warranty contained in these Terms and Conditions.
- Termination. Automattic may terminate this Agreement, your rights under this Agreement, and your access to and use of the Website and Service in its sole discretion, for any reason or no reason at all, (including but not limited to failure to pay your fees), with or without cause and without notice or liability to you or any third party. Any termination of these Terms and Conditions automatically terminates the license to use the Service and this Website and to use your API Key. You may terminate these Terms and Conditions for any reason upon thirty (30) days prior written notice to Automattic.
- Survival. Upon termination, all rights and obligations created by this Agreement will terminate, except that you will continue to be bound by those terms that would by their nature survive such termination, including without limitation those concerning intellectual property rights, disclaimers of warranties and limitations of liability; representations, warranties and indemnity obligations; and general provisions.
- Miscellaneous. These Terms and Conditions constitute the entire agreement between Automattic and you concerning the subject matter hereof, and they may only be modified by a written amendment signed by an authorized executive of Automattic, or by the posting by Automattic of a revised version. Except to the extent applicable law, if any, provides otherwise, these Terms and Conditions, any access to or use of the Website will be governed by the laws of the state of California, U.S.A., excluding its conflict of law provisions, and the proper venue for any disputes arising out of or relating to any of the same will be the state and federal courts located in San Francisco County, California. If any part of these Terms and Conditions is held invalid or unenforceable, that part will be construed to reflect the parties' original intent, and the remaining portions will remain in full force and effect. A waiver by either party of any term or condition of these Terms and Conditions or any breach thereof, in any one instance, will not waive such term or condition or any subsequent breach thereof. Automattic may assign its rights under these Terms and Conditions without condition. These Terms and Conditions will be binding upon and will inure to the benefit of the parties, their successors and permitted assigns. These Terms and Conditions will be binding upon and will inure to the benefit of the parties, their successors and permitted assigns.